Hydroponic Gardening – Minneapolis St. Paul, Minnesota
Hydroponic gardening’s popularity has grown in leaps and bounds in recent years, especially in the Minneapolis St. Paul area. Hydroponic gardening is, in simple terms, growing plants in a water and nutrient solution, but without soil. Hydroponics allows you to grow plants, fruits and vegetables in a more efficient and productive manner, literally anywhere, with less labor, time and gardening area needed.
Hydroponic gardens can be grown indoors, outdoors, and even in cramped quarters, using several different methods. These methods include growing plants in containers of water or in other soil-less mediums, including sand, crushed rock, gravel and vermiculite.
Advantages of Hydroponic Gardening
- Simplicity – No digging, tilling, raking, or weed pulling. No power tools needed.
- Water-Saving – Up to 2/3 less water is needed.
- Affordable – Get started on a very low budget, and save on any size of planting.
- Higher Yields – Far more productive for their size.
- No Yard Needed – Create a highly productive garden in any indoor space.
- Better Results – Generating better tasting, more nutritional fruits and plants.
- Year Round Growing – You control the season and growing cycle precisely.
- Pest and Disease Free – No insect pests, and no soil means no soil-borne disease.
The science of hydroponics proves that the only things needed to grow plants are water, nutrients, and a method of delivering the plant’s food to the root system. The soil itself is simply the backbone for the roots so they have a stable place to grow.
Although hydroponic gardening can be done outdoors, most gardens are indoors or in a greenhouse. Because hydroponic gardening is so efficient, very little space is needed compared to a conventional outdoor garden. In hydroponic gardening, you provide the exact nutrients that your plants need by directly feeding the root system, without ever having to stress the plant due to lack of nutrients or water.
Hydroponic gardening is superior to traditional gardening in most cases. If soil everywhere was of high quality and if everyone who wanted to grow plants owned the ground to plant it on and had the time to cultivate it, hydroponics might be rarely used.
However, soil varies greatly in its quality and consistency. When we plant outdoors in the best of soils, large amounts of fertilizer are not needed for proper growth. Many of us, especially city-dwellers, townhome owners or apartment and condo dwellers lack even a small plot of land to grow plants.
Even if you live in the tiniest of apartments you can raise fruits, herbs, vegetables and flowering plants. You can raise plants hydroponically in pots, or individual containers and adapt your hydroponic garden to any size space available.
Is Hydroponics Right for Minnesota Growers?
If you’re just starting to get interested in indoor gardening, you will want to learn more about it before jumping in. At Interior Gardens, we know that the more you know, the more you’ll want to start enjoying this great way of planting. Here is the information you need to know before getting started with this fascinating and productive gardening method.
- Indoor Planting – Gardening indoors is different from traditional growing. In the outdoor environment, nature provides what plants need for growth and production. When you garden indoors, it’s up to you to provide all of the requirements that promote strong, healthy productive plants. The basic needs for success aren’t complicated, and our guide will help you understand how important the primary five needs can be.
- What Hydroponic Plants to Grow? – Most people are surprised at how flexible hydroponic gardening can be. Whether you want to grow fruits, vegetables, herbs or decorative plants and flowers, you can create almost any kind of garden indoors at any time of the year. Our experienced staff will be glad to help you achieve your goals with the right equipment, lights, nutrients, growing systems and advice Learn more here.
- Hydroponics Methods – There are four basic types of hydroponic gardens, including deep water systems, aeroponics, ebb and flow and drip systems. Each method has its own advantages and is great for certain types of planting.
- Hydroponic Supplies Store? – Whether you’re just getting started with hydroponic gardening indoors or you’ve been successfully growing for years, you need a convenient place to find all gardening products. In the Twin Cities metro area, that’s Interior Gardens. From hydroponics growing systems and grow lights to soils, nutrients, growing media and even self-contained dark room environments, we have it all. Our prices are right and our stock of products is large and comprehensive.
- What Hydroponic Systems to Choose – See this guide to get a rundown of the simple basic items you need to get started or expand your hydroponic garden.
Minneapolis St. Paul Hydroponics Supplies Store
At Interior Gardens, we have over 20 years of experience helping Minnesota growers create and maintain their hydroponic, organic and indoor gardens. We have selected the very best equipment, tools, and other products you need to create your 21st Century garden, whether you’re just starting out or expanding your current garden. Our experienced and helpful staff loves to help customers find exactly the products they need to achieve maximum success, and we’re always eager to answer your questions. Our prices can’t be beaten, either. Visit our Minneapolis store, and we’ll show you all the possibilities. Now is the best time to get started with your new garden.