Benefits of Organic Gardening – Minneapolis St. Paul, MN
Growing fruits, vegetables, and herbs has been one of America’s favorite hobbies for a very long time. In the 19th and early 20th centuries, all gardening was organic in nature, since chemical pesticides, herbicides, and fertilizers didn’t really exist. With the advent of those chemicals, gardeners switched to them as “better” or “more effective,” little realizing that they really were neither, but posed serious risks to health and environmental safety.
Late in the 20th century, some gardeners began to return to the old ways of growing fruits, vegetables and herbs. Today, the benefits of organic produce are clear to many more people, and the success of local farmer’s markets and the availability of organic produce, even in supermarkets, demonstrate the increasing popularity of this healthful way to grow the food we eat. Here are some of the reasons to switch to doing your own gardening for you and your family.
- Better Health – In recent years, it’s become very clear that ingesting chemical fertilizers, insecticides, and herbicides is just plain bad for our health. These chemicals, even in trace amounts, especially harm children. Organic fruits and vegetable help to eliminate these chemicals from our diets.
- Better Nutrition – Organic fruits and vegetables are significantly higher in the essential vitamins and nutrients we all need to maintain robust good health. Why would we eat chemical-laden produce that lacks the high levels of nutrients we need?
- Greater Variety – By growing a wide variety of organic fruits, vegetables, and herbs, we can take advantage of a more balanced, varied diet. Including delicious heirloom varieties of our favorite fruits and veggies in our gardens also adds variety to our diet.
- Assured Freshness – Food grown organically on our own property is always at the peak of freshness. Fruits and vegetables begin losing their nutritional value from the moment they’re picked. Assure maximum nutrition and taste by growing your own.
- Improved Flavors – There’s no denying that picking fruits, herbs, and vegetables at the peak of ripeness and serving them right away assures us of maximum flavor. Fresh herbs, fresh from the garden also enhance the food flavors, far more than wilted or dried herbs from elsewhere.
- Eat More Locally – The trend across America is toward eating more and more foods that are grown locally. Nothing is more local than your own backyard or your indoor hydroponic garden.
- Big Savings – If you buy organic produce for yourself and your family, you know that you’ll pay more for it at your local supermarket or farmer’s markets. Growing your own food is a natural way to stretch your budget, and growing it chemical-free means saving on costly chemical additives.
- Year-Round Gardening – If you choose, as so many Twin Cities gardeners are now doing, to grow your organic garden indoors under grow lights, either in soil or using hydroponics, you can grow fresh fruits, vegetables and herbs all year. You control the seasons, so you can have fresh produce, even in the chill of a Minnesota winter.
- Environmental Safety – Our streams, rivers, and soil are suffering from contaminated run-off from farms and yards that use toxic chemicals. Even beneficial insects and other animals are damaged by these chemicals. By switching to organic gardening, you can take part in protecting the environment because it actually enhance soil, instead of depleting it.
- Family Unity – Involving the entire family in this healthy activity helps to promote togetherness and provides many hours of enjoyable time. As an additional benefit, children tend to eat more healthful fruits and vegetables if they have a hand in producing them.
Best Organic Gardening Store in Minneapolis St. Paul
We’re committed to helping Twin Cities growers maximize the benefits of organic gardening. Whether you grow outdoors in your backyard or indoors under grow lights, either in soil or using the latest hydroponics techniques, we’re here to help. Our large stock soils, amendments, fertilizers and pest control products, is selected from the very best brands available, including FoxFarm, Roots Organics, General Hydroponics, Advanced Nutrients, Heavy 16, Supernatural and Botanicare. We also supply hydroponics systems including deep water, drip, ebb-and-flow and aeroponics setups, along with all the nutrients. Visit our Minneapolis organic and hydroponic gardening store. Our expert staff will help you choose the products you need for the best yield.