Benefits to Garden The Organic Way – Minneapolis St. Paul, MN
Growing fruits, vegetables, and herbs has been one of America’s favorite hobbies for a very long time. In the 19th and early 20th centuries, all gardening was organic in nature, since chemical pesticides, herbicides, and fertilizers didn’t exist. With the advent of those chemicals, gardeners switched to them as “better” or “more effective,” little realizing that they really were neither, but posed serious risks to health and environmental safety. Late in the 20th century, some gardeners began to return to the old ways of gardening and discovered the benefits of organic gardening. Today, the benefits of organic produce are clear to many more people, and the success of local farmer’s markets and the availability of organic produce, even in supermarkets, demonstrate the growing popularity of this healthful way to grow the food we eat. Here are some of the reasons to switch to doing your own gardening for you and your family. Make that an organic garden to maximize the benefits:
- Health – In recent years, it’s become very clear that ingesting chemical fertilizers, insecticides, and herbicides is just plain bad for our health. These chemicals, even in trace amounts, especially harm children. Organic fruits and vegetable eliminate these chemicals from our diets.
- Nutrition – Organic fruits and vegetables are significantly higher in the essential vitamins and nutrients we all need to maintain robust good health. Why would we eat chemical-laden produce that lacks the high levels of nutrients we need?
- Variety – By growing a wide variety of organic fruits, vegetables, and herbs in our gardens, we can take advantage of a more balanced, varied diet. Including heirloom varieties of our favorite fruits and veggies in our gardens also adds variety to our diet.
- Freshness – Food grown organically on our own property is always at the peak of freshness. Fruits and vegetables begin losing their nutritive value from the moment they’re picked. Assure maximum nutrition and taste by growing your own.
- Taste – There’s no denying that picking fruits, herbs, and vegetables at the peak of ripeness and serving them right away assures us of maximum flavor for our table. Fresh herbs, fresh from the garden also enhance the food we eat, far more than wilted or dried herbs from elsewhere.
- Locality – The trend across America is toward eating more and more foods that are grown locally. Nothing is more local than your own backyard or your indoor hydroponic garden.
- Savings – If you buy organic produce for yourself and your family, you know that you’ll pay more for it at your local supermarket or even at farmer’s markets. Growing your own food is a natural way to stretch your budget, and growing it in an organic garden means saving on costly chemical additives.
- Year-Round Gardening – If you choose, as so many organic gardeners are now doing, to grow your organic garden indoors, either in soil or using hydroponics, you can grow fresh fruits, vegetables and herbs all year. You control the season, so you can have fresh produce, even in the chill of a Minnesota winter.
- Environmental Safety – Our streams, rivers, and soil are suffering from contaminated run-off from farms and gardens that use toxic chemicals. Even beneficial insects and other animals are damaged by chemical gardening techniques. By switching your own garden to an organic garden, you play a part in protecting the environment. Organic gardening techniques actually enhance soil, instead of depleting it.
- Family Unity – Involving the entire family in organic gardening projects helps to promote togetherness and provides many hours of enjoyable and healthful activity. As an additional benefit, children tend to eat more healthful fruits and vegetables if they have a hand in growing them.
Interior Gardens – Organic Gardening Superstore in Minneapolis St. Paul
At Interior Gardens, we’re committed to helping our Minneapolis St. Paul, Minnesota customers maximize the benefits of organic gardening. Whether you grow outdoors in traditional garden beds or indoor, either in soil or using the latest hydroponics gardening techniques, we’re here to help. Our stock of organic gardening products, from soils and amendments to organic fertilizers and pest control products, is selected from the very best products available. We’ve searched the world for the best organic gardening products, and have them in stock for you. Visit our Minneapolis Garden Center, at 1620 Central Ave. NE in Minneapolis, just off I-35W. Our expert staff will help you choose the products you need for the best results. Act today to make your organic garden a reality.